Neil Burger Thriller ‘The Marsh King’s Daughter’ Starring ‘Star Wars’ Alum Daisy Ridley Shooting June To August In Toronto

Director Neil Burger (Voyagers, Limitless) is set to direct a feature film adaptation of the Karen Dionne novel The Marsh King’s Daughter with Daisy Ridley set to take the film’s leading role. Ridley is best known for her role as Rey Skywalker in the sequel trilogy Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

Helena (Ridley), a woman living a seemingly ordinary life, but hiding a dark secret: her father is the infamous “Marsh King,” the man who kept her and her mother captive in the wilderness for years. After a lifetime of trying to escape her past, Helena is forced to face her demons when her father unexpectedly escapes from prison.

The Ronin has learned that filming in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is expected to kick-off on June 7 and wrap sometime in early August. Daisy previously spent time in Canada shooting the Dough Liman sci-fi action film Chaos Walking co-starring Spider-Man’s Tom Holland in Montreal, Quebec.

STXfilms had nabbed the film’s domestic distribution rights last month but currently doesn’t have a release date.

Daisy Ridley has recently expressed an interest to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe even after previously tackling a large franchise like Star Wars. Fans have been campaigning online to see her as a contender to play Jessica Drew aka Spider-Woman in Olivia Wilde’s untitled Sony/Marvel film.

RIDLEY: “Well, it’s funny because someone asked me off the cuff about the Spider-Woman rumors recently, and I went, ‘Oh, that sounds great.’ Apparently, I’ve now declared myself a front-runner to be Spider-Woman which isn’t true!. It’s funny because I don’t really choose things… I [didn’t] set out to do another ‘big film.’ I just read the script, loved it, and loved the idea of it.”

“Basically, should something come along and be great, of course, I’d be open to anything. I just finished WandaVision. What they did with it is so amazing and different and interesting. To be particularly in that world, which is ever-shifting and reimagining itself would be very exciting.”

‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’: Ewan McGregor Teases Lightsaber Fights & Comments On Young Luke Skywalker Showing Up

The Obi-Wan Kenobi series has had a long journey originally designed to be a feature film similar to Rogue One and Solo until Lucasfilm pumped the breaks then pivoted to a series that would be directed by Deborah Chow. Ewan McGregor was officially confirmed to return to the Kenobi role alongside other prequel actors including Hayden Christensen playing Darth Vader.

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

Indira Varma, Kumail Nanjiani, Sung Kang, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Benny Safdie, Rupert Friend, Joel Edgerton, Moses Ingram, Bonnie Piesse, and Simone Kessell. Joel and Bonnie reprising their prequel roles of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. A huge sign we’ll be seeing a young Luke Skywalker after the character returned for Star Wars: The Last Jedi and The Mandalorian Season 2 finale.

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Ewan McGregor says that photography hasn’t started but has been doing screen tests with other actors, and teased it could be for young Luke Skywalker.

While principal photography has not yet commenced, McGregor says he “has done some screen tests with Deborah and other people, and I can see that she is a really, really good director.” Might some of those screen tests be with a young Luke Skywalker? He flashes that famous Ewan McGregor grin. “That’s very possible,” he says. “I don’t know.”

He also hinted that he’s been training hard for future lightsaber battles in the show after previous teases that we’ll see the series tackle other locations other than Tatooine. Suggesting we might not being seeing the boring hermit wondering the desert for the entire run of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

MCGREGOR: “For months, we’ve been doing these monster, two-and-a-half-hour sessions of sword fights and hand-to-hand stuff.”

Kenobi will have 6-episodes and debut on Disney+ sometime in 2022.

SOURCE: THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Adds Maya Erskine & Will Have 6-Episodes

As production is said to be begin this month in Los Angeles, the Obi-Wan Kenobi series will reportedly add actress Maya Erskine to the cast. This news comes from Deadline, who add that the show’s episode count has moved-up from four to six.

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

The cast already consists of Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, Indira Varma, Kumail Nanjiani, Sung Kang, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Benny Safdie, Rupert Friend, Joel Edgerton, Moses Ingram, Bonnie Piesse, and Simone Kessell.

Deborah Chow (The Mandalorian) is directing the Star Wars series.

There is an expectation that Obi-Wan Kenobi will debut on Disney+ sometime in 2022.

SOURCE: DEADLINE

‘Game of Thrones’ & ‘Solo’ Actress Emilia Clarke Is The Latest Addition To Marvel’s ‘Secret Invasion’ Series

Yesterday, it was revealed that Oscar-winner Olivia Colman (Hot Fuzz, The Favourite, The Father) would be joining the Disney+ series Secret Invasion from Marvel Studios. A huge crossover event that will see the shape-shifting aliens, Skrulls, quietly taking over positions of power on Earth replacing humans. In the comics, it also bleeds over to the ranks of the Avengers as well seeing various.

Another high-profile actor is being courted for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Variety reports that Emilia Clarke is the newest addition to the cast of Marvel’s upcoming event series Secret Invasion. The Game of Thrones and Solo: Star Wars Story actress is currently in talks with Marvel to join the Skrull series.

Apparently, this wouldn’t be her first brush with Marvel as she had been wanted for role in Iron Man 3. This being revealed by the film’s screenwriter Drew Pearce on Instagram back in 2019 but things obviously didn’t work out.

Emilia told The Sunday Times she would be keen to join the Marvel family.

CLARKE: “I think, if I did, it would be me having a giggle. I want to do something absolutely stupid and silly, like, you know, The Avengers or whatever. Something where I got to have a giggle with mates.”

She would join Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Ben Mendelsohn as Talos, Olivia Colman in an undisclosed role, and fellow Brit Kingsley Ben-Adir reportedly taking a villain role in the Disney+ series.

Filming is said to begin this fall in the United Kingdom.

SOURCE: VARIETY

‘The Book of Boba Fett’ Will Reportedly See The Return of Pedro Pascal’s Din Djarin

At the end of Season 2 of The Mandalorian, it was announced that The Book of Boba Fett would be a new Star Wars series coming to Disney+ and this led to Lucasfilm revealing that The Mandalorian Season 3 would be delayed. There had been confusion as the Fett project seemingly took over the production schedule that was likely meant for The Mandalorian.

The spinoff project would see Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen reprise their respective roles of Boba Fett and Fennec Shand. It’s also being produced by Robert Rodriguez, Jon Favreau, and Dave Filoni with the assumption they’ll end up directing episodes.

Well, it sounds like a familiar Mandalorian might be popping-up in the show after all.

Earlier in the week, Cinelinx reported that Pedro Pascal’s Din Djarin is expected to appear in some capacity on the Disney+ series. Although, details are a bit scarce along with the how much we’ll end up seeing him.

The Book of Boba Fett has just about wrapped filming (if it hasn’t already) and details on the story/set have been ridiculously tight. That said, I’ve heard word from a couple of independent sources that at least one other familiar “face” from The Mandalorian will make an appearance: Din Djarin.

There is an expectation that The Mandalorian Season 3 won’t be filming anytime soon as with The Book of Boba Fett finishing up filming, Obi-Wan Kenobi is officially set to begin production in the California production space sometime this month. Pedro Pascal is also locked-in to shoot HBO’s The Last of Us series over the summer in Calgary.

It’ll be interesting to see how exactly Mando figures into The Book of Boba Fett and if it will to plant seeds for other projects set in the Mandalorian timeline.

SOURCE: CINELINX

Erin Kellyman Keen To Reprise Her ‘Star Wars’ Character Enfys Nest – “I Would 100% Do It”

Erin Kellyman is having quite the career thanks to Disney as the British actress has appeared in Solo: A Star Wars Story as Enfys Nest, is currently seen playing Karli Morgenthau on Marvel’s The Falcon & The Winter Soldier, and has a lead role in the Willow sequel series at Disney+ that is filming in Wales.

The young actress is doing some press for The Falcon & The Winter Soldier when she was asked by Screen Rant about the possibility of reprising the role of Enfys Nest in a future Star Wars project. In her response, admitting she hasn’t spoken to the studio about it but would be willing to play her again.

KELLYMAN: “I would love if that was the case. I haven’t heard anything, but I would love to play Enfys Nest again. If Disney came to me and said, ‘Will you play her again?’ I would 100% do it. She was such a fun character to play.”

While the Obi-Wan Kenobi limited series takes place around the events of Solo: A Star Wars Story (follows Han Solo over multiple years), her other commitments to Willow would likely prevent her from appearing even if that was an option. However, depending when the upcoming Lando series is set within the Star Wars timeline, it could allow Kellyman to at least cameo as Nest down the road.

A much older version of the character could appear in The Mandalorian era shows on Disney+, but would likely mean they’d have to hire an older actress or keep Nest in the helmet.

We’ll have to wait and see if Lucasfilm ultimately has her return to the Star Wars universe.

SOURCE: SCREEN RANT

Daisy Ridley “Open To Anything” Concerning A Future Role In The MCU

While many fans have been championing Star Wars actress Daisy Ridley for the role of Marvel Comics heroine Jessica Drew aka Spider-Woman, it sounds like she is open to pretty much anything related to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

During an interview with Comic Book Movie, Ridley suggests she might be open to things other than Spider-Woman and even brings up the Disney+ series WandaVision. Potentially hinting to an openness to tackle something in television as well as on the big screen.

RIDLEY: “Well, it’s funny because someone asked me off the cuff about the Spider-Woman rumors recently, and I went, ‘Oh, that sounds great.’ Apparently, I’ve now declared myself a front-runner to be Spider-Woman which isn’t true!. It’s funny because I don’t really choose things… I [didn’t] set out to do another ‘big film.’ I just read the script, loved it, and loved the idea of it.”

“Basically, should something come along and be great, of course, I’d be open to anything. I just finished WandaVision. What they did with it is so amazing and different and interesting. To be particularly in that world, which is ever-shifting and reimagining itself would be very exciting.”

Just because fans would like to see her play Spider-Woman it doesn’t mean it will actually happen and it’s worth mentioning there are many female characters connected to the MCU that she could end up playing besides Jessica Drew.

Olivia Wilde is reportedly directing a Spider-Woman film for Sony Pictures but it hasn’t been announced if Marvel Studios would be officially participating in the project.

It’s worth mentioning that the X-Men franchise is on the horizon. I could see Daisy playing a grown-up version X-23 or Morlock leader Callisto as it would allow her to play slightly more gruff characters than she has recently. I don’t know if she’s capable of a Southern accent for a character like X-Men’s Rogue, but that would lead to some interactions with Brie Larson’s Captain Marvel as she drains her powers to gain the ability of flight and super-strength.

We have to assume that roles such as S.W.O.R.D.’s Abigail Brand, Namora, Crystal, and Power Princess might be coming in the future too.

Playing either Rogue and Brand would allow Ridley to share scenes with Brie Larson, combining the two into a single project would totally irk a segment of the childish online community that share equal hate for Rey and Captain Marvel.

SOURCE: COMIC BOOK MOVIE

Sebastian Stan Would Only Play Luke Skywalker If Mark Hamill Called Him Personally About Sharing The Iconic ‘Star Wars’ Role

In Season 2 of The Mandalorian, Mark Hamill reprises the Luke Skywalker in an action-focused cameo. That scene had a de-aged version of Mark Hamill and used good amount of CGI to accomplish. If there was ever a Luke Skywalker series or if the Jedi had a bigger role in the future for other shows that might become too expensive for Lucasfilm to do on a regular basis. A more cost effective move would be hiring another actor.

We’ve seen for ages that Marvel actor Sebastian Stan would make a good Luke Skywalker because he is the spitting image of Hamill. This led to Mark Hamill informally giving his approval on social medial.

Stan was recently on Good Morning America promoting his Disney+ series The Falcon & The Winter Soldier and was asked about the possibility of playing Skywalker in the future.

STAN: “If Mark Hamill called me, personally, to tell me he feels inclined to share this role with me, then I will believe it. Until then, I won’t believe it.”

UPDATE: Mark Hamill has responded on Twitter and downplays what his endorsement/blessing would do for Sebastian Stan landing the part.

We still don’t know if Lucasfilm has plans for Luke Skywalker beyond the cameo in The Mandalorian but since Stan is already in the Disney+ family there is a possibility they could at least ask him about it. While Kevin Feige confirmed there are ideas for a second season of The Falcon & The Winter Soldier, there doesn’t seem to be a commitment for multiple seasons at this point and that might have to do with Captain American 4 being on the table as a follow-up to the series.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi series is already opening the door for a new Luke Skywalker actor as the the project is expected to have a young version of him as we’ll see the return of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru with the setting taking place 10 years after Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith.

SOURCE: GOOD MORNING AMERICA

‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Officially Adds Kumail Nanjiani, Sung Kang, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Benny Safdie, Rupert Friend, Joel Edgerton & Others

Today, Lucasfilm has announced a batch of new additions to the cast of Obi-Wan Kenobi with Kumail Nanjiani, Sung Kang, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Benny Safdie, Rupert Friend, Joel Edgerton, Moses Ingram, Bonnie Piesse, and Simone Kessell. They’ll join the previously announced cast of Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, and Indira Varma.

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

Bonnie and Joel will be reprising their prequel roles of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, these casting announcements would confirm that the limited series will add a young Luke Skywalker. This makes perfect sense as the limited series is set 10 years after the events of Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith, also years before Star Wars: A New Hope and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Ewan McGregor has sort of hinted that we could see Ben Kenobi off-world and it’s been officially announced that Hayden will be returning to the role of Darth Vader, so the series will likely have an Imperial angle.

Ewan has confirmed the filming will take place in Los Angeles sometime in spring with Deborah Chow (The Mandalorian) directing. The press release includes an update of an April production start.

Joe Cornish Says He’s Spoken To John Boyega Recently About Story Ideas For An ‘Attack The Block’ Sequel

Director Joe Cornish has revealed to Entertainment Weekly during a SXSW interview that he’s recently spoken with Attack The Block actor John Boyega about sequel ideas. You might remember that Joe’s sci-fi comedy helped give international exposure to Boyega before he was ultimately cast as Finn by J.J. Abrams for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

CORNISH: “We’re working on it at the moment. John Boyega was round at my place a few weeks ago and we sat in the garden — socially distanced — talking about story ideas until it was so dark we couldn’t see each other. So, yeah, we’re working on that.”

John’s Attack The Block co-star Jodie Whittaker also got her own sci-fi franchise gig as well becoming the 13th Doctor on the BBC’s Doctor Who series.

It’s unknown if we’ll actually get Attack The Block 2, but it would be exciting to see what could happen if Joe Cornish was given a much larger budget for a sequel since the original had some decent production value for only costing $13 million to make. However, while the film has earned a bit of a cult follow on streaming and home video, it flopped at the box office only earning $6 million (less than half it’s budget).

Given it’s troubles at the box office, I wouldn’t be shocked if a sequel ended up at a streaming service such as Netflix or Amazon.

ATTACK THE BLOCK – Attack the Block follows an unlucky young woman and a gang of tough inner city kids who make an unlikely alliance to try to defend their turf against an invasion of savage alien creatures, turning a South London apartment complex into an intergalactic war-zone.

SOURCE: ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY