Today, the bulk of the voice cast for Guillermo del Toro’s animated Pinocchio film for Netflix has been finally announced. The Hollywood Reporter first reported the casting additions but their website is currently having technical issues.
A handful of actors have previously worked with del Toro but there are also plenty of newcomers as well. Ewan McGregor had previously outed himself for the project months back during an interview.
This version of the classic Carlo Collodi tale will take more of a grim setting than the Disney counterpart as it will take place during the rise of fascism in Mussolini’s Italy.
Here is the full cast list for the stop-motion animation feature film.
- Gregory Mann as Pinocchio
- Ewan McGregor (Kenobi, Doctor Sleep) as Cricket
- David Bradley (Harry Potter franchise, Game of Thrones) as Geppetto
- Tilda Swinton (Snowpiercer)
- Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained)
- Finn Wolfhard (Stranger Things, IT, Ghostbusters: Afterlife)
- Cate Blanchett (Nightmare Alley, Thor: Ragnarok)
- John Turturro (The Batman)
- Ron Perlman (Nightmare Alley, Hellboy)
- Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen)
- Burn Gorman (Pacific Rim, Game of Thrones)
Production on Pinocchio started last fall at ShadowMachine’s studio in Portland, Oregon with Mark Gustafson co-directing alongside del Toro from a script penned by Guillermo and Patrick McHale.
Alexandre Desplat will be handling the film’s music and score.
Guillermo is expected to resume production on his thriller Nightmare Alley on September 16th in Toronto and complete principal photography by late November.
SOURCE: THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER